USB CD drive does not work with 14-Stable
S.N.Grigoriev
2024-02-24 14:12:22 UTC
Hi, list,

I've found out that my USB CD drive does not work with my 14-Stable (amd64).
It works fine with Linux and Windows and in past worked fine with 12-Stable.

The following is from /var/log/messages:

kernel: usb_alloc_device: set address 2 failed (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT, ignored)
kernel: usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed, USB_ERR_IOERROR
kernel: usb_msc_auto_quirk: UQ_MSC_NO_GETMAXLUN set for USB mass storage device MediaTek Inc MT1956 (0x0e8d:0x1956)
kernel: usb_alloc_device: Failure selecting configuration index 0:USB_ERR_STALLED, port 5, addr 2 (ignored)
kernel: ugen3.2: <MediaTek Inc MT1956> at usbus3

Any tips are appreciated.

Regards,
Serguey.

--
Posted automagically by a mail2news gateway at muc.de e.V.
Please direct questions, flames, donations, etc. to news-***@muc.de
h***@tuta.io
2024-02-24 19:43:20 UTC
Hi Serguey,

I just want to say that my USB CD drive works fine on 14.0-RELEASE. No idea about 14-Stable.

We do likely have different drives, however.

I don't have any other insights to offer right now.

-Henrich
void
2024-02-24 23:12:45 UTC
Post by S.N.Grigoriev
Hi, list,
I've found out that my USB CD drive does not work with my 14-Stable (amd64).
It works fine with Linux and Windows and in past worked fine with 12-Stable.
kernel: usb_alloc_device: set address 2 failed (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT, ignored)
kernel: usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed, USB_ERR_IOERROR
kernel: usb_msc_auto_quirk: UQ_MSC_NO_GETMAXLUN set for USB mass
storage device MediaTek Inc MT1956 (0x0e8d:0x1956)
kernel: usb_alloc_device: Failure selecting configuration index
0:USB_ERR_STALLED, port 5, addr 2 (ignored)
kernel: ugen3.2: <MediaTek Inc MT1956> at usbus3
Hi, can you post your kernel config please, and uname -aKU

void
2024-02-25 14:20:56 UTC
Another thing maybe worthwhile trying is to just have that one thing
plugged into the usb subsystem. Beforehand, tail -f /var/log/messages
in an xterm, unplug everything usb (2&3), plug in the cd drive,
observe messages.

S.N.Grigoriev
2024-02-25 10:07:59 UTC
Post by void
Post by S.N.Grigoriev
Hi, list,
I've found out that my USB CD drive does not work with my 14-Stable (amd64).
It works fine with Linux and Windows and in past worked fine with 12-Stable.
kernel: usb_alloc_device: set address 2 failed (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT, ignored)
kernel: usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2
failed, USB_ERR_IOERROR
kernel: usb_msc_auto_quirk: UQ_MSC_NO_GETMAXLUN set for USB mass
storage device MediaTek Inc MT1956 (0x0e8d:0x1956)
kernel: usb_alloc_device: Failure selecting configuration index
0:USB_ERR_STALLED, port 5, addr 2 (ignored)
kernel: ugen3.2: <MediaTek Inc MT1956> at usbus3
Hi, can you post your kernel config please, and uname -aKU
Hi, void,

thank you for your response! My kernel config is:

##########
include GENERIC

ident GEN

# No sound support
nodevice sound
nodevice snd_cmi
nodevice snd_csa
nodevice snd_emu10kx
nodevice snd_es137x
nodevice snd_hda
nodevice snd_ich
nodevice snd_via8233
###########

uname -aKU output:

FreeBSD amico.pltel.ru 14.0-STABLE FreeBSD 14.0-STABLE #0 stable/14-n266870-e705ac7788b2: Sat Feb 24 15:47:37 MSK 2024 ***@amico.pltel.ru:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GEN amd64 1400509 1400509

Regards,
Serguey.

void
2024-02-25 14:16:00 UTC
Post by S.N.Grigoriev
Hi, void,
##########
include GENERIC
ident GEN
# No sound support
nodevice sound
nodevice snd_cmi
nodevice snd_csa
nodevice snd_emu10kx
nodevice snd_es137x
nodevice snd_hda
nodevice snd_ich
nodevice snd_via8233
###########
FreeBSD amico.pltel.ru 14.0-STABLE FreeBSD 14.0-STABLE #0
stable/14-n266870-e705ac7788b2: Sat Feb 24 15:47:37 MSK 2024
1400509
OK - that GENERIC is unmodified? If so, then the kernel has all the usb stuff
needed.

make sure you have misc/usbids sysutils/usbutils and sysutils/usbhid-dump
(I also have devel/libpci misc/pciids and sysutils/pciutils)
installed, for diagnostics like lsusb.

In the past, on a couple of boards, I have had to disable usb3 in the kernel
(or in the bios) and just had usb2 working. Can you try a usb2 port? Next step
would be to disable one or the other in the bios, and try with one or the other
after changing each one.

good luck,

void
2024-02-26 00:10:16 UTC
Post by S.N.Grigoriev
Post by void
Another thing maybe worthwhile trying is to just have that one thing
plugged into the usb subsystem. Beforehand, tail -f /var/log/messages
in an xterm, unplug everything usb (2&3), plug in the cd drive,
observe messages.
I've done it. The same result.
What is the output of lsusb -v ?
void
2024-02-27 16:05:03 UTC
I get the following from my own portable BD machine, from the lsusb command:

Bus /dev/usb Device /dev/ugen0.10: ID 0e8d:1956 MediaTek Inc. Samsung SE-506 Portable BluRay Disc Writer

There's also lots of "can't get device qualifier: Input/output error" with -v but it's not stopping the disk from working. I can run k3b and use it.
can't get debug descriptor: Input/output error.
Does it mean that my USB hardware is broken?
I'm not sure - it might be worthwhile subscribing & posting to freebsd-usb@
S.N.Grigoriev
2024-02-27 18:26:06 UTC
Post by void
Bus /dev/usb Device /dev/ugen0.10: ID 0e8d:1956 MediaTek Inc. Samsung SE-506 Portable BluRay Disc Writer
There's also lots of "can't get device qualifier: Input/output error" with -v but it's not stopping the disk from working. I can run k3b and use it.
can't get debug descriptor: Input/output error.
Does it mean that my USB hardware is broken?
--
Thanks, void,

I'll try to use freebsd-***@.

Regards,